Friday, June 10, 2011

Sweat No More

I woke up from general anaesthesia in the recovery room, with my wife sitting next to me. Smiling. I was a little in pain, and feeling a little difficulty breathing, but this was what I had expected. Oxygen 5L/min was given. IV Pethidine one dose. I felt like my lungs were working hard to re-expand to their original state, after the deflation took place during the operation.


Immediately reaching out to have a look at both my palms. Both dry! Oh God, could this be real? Yes, my wife told me. They are now dry. The surgeon did not exaggerate the result, as he told me "you will experience instantaneous result post op". True enough. Dry and warm palms.


30 minutes ago, I was pushed into the operating theatre. With the anaesthetist smiling at me, and comforting me that everything will be ok; he meanwhile injected something into the branula on my right wrist. I felt a sudden gush of pain, as if the IV line was "bunked" and the fluid extravasated into my subcutaneous tissue. Tearing apart feeling in my right hand. I then wanted to ask the anaesthetist about whether it was a norm to have such pain after injection (though I knew it was probably Propofol injection pain), in less than 10 seconds, I felt a sudden giddiness, eyes blacked out, speech slurred, and went into "deep sleep". After that, I really left everything to Dr Khoo's team. In fact, anything they wanted to do on me, I had no say!! "I'm all yours!"

No comments:

Post a Comment