Monday, June 27, 2011

Piano

Although I managed to stop at ABRSM Piano Grade 7 level, I didn't really enjoy my piano sessions all these years. It was all the sweaty palm problem. No one could comprehend my problem, except my piano teacher. She was very compassionate, in fact she sympathized with my sweaty palm condition. She fully understood how difficult it was to play the piano with wet hands and fingers. I had to always bring along a high absorbent cloth with me to piano lessons. In between the playing sessions, either my teacher or I would have to continuously wipe the keyboard with that piece of cloth.

Wiping my hands would not bring any good, the sweat would just keep coming on. Playing scales, staccato pieces or stretching the fingers apart for chords would be the hardest for me. The grip on the keys was never good. Hence, the playing of the piano could never be improved. No matter how much I practised the piano, the slippery fingers would always give way and made me accidentally press on the wrong keys. Frustration was the word I could use to describe how I felt in those days.

During exam time, the examiner usually did not understand how a pair of wet hands could jeopardise the playing skill. It's just like you won't understand how a colour blind person could not see green or red; or how a myopic person could not see the blackboard clearly.

Today, my hands are dry. I wish to restart my piano lessons. Or in fact go for guitar lessons as well! This is just another instrument I could not play at all in the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment