Monday, July 18, 2011

Forehead sweating

I had been told prior to the ETS that I probably would not sweat anymore on my forehead. In fact  I read on the internet, many patients who underwent the ETS described their "bone dry" skin above the nipple line.

Today I wanted to try if this is all true, post ETS. And I ordered a bowl of spicy curry noodle for lunch. Before the surgery, I had always sweated very badly on my forehead, scalp and around the lips whenever I took something spicy. I also wanted to test out if the "gustatory sweating" is happening to me or not.

Halfway through the spicy meal, I was rather elated that my forehead and scalp and neck started sweating just like before! However my arms, forearms, armpits and both palms were dry and warm! That's exactly what I have wanted. This is what I call the "normal" response.

And my lower back and buttock area did not sweat. Soles were a little sweaty but that was normal for me. There was no "gustatory sweating".

All I can conclude after today's spicy meal is that I am happy that I am being normal again, thanks to the ETS.

2 comments:

  1. Hi there,

    I also had ETS surgery. I had it in January 2011. I want to talk about not being able to sweat from the nipple line up Post-ETS. When you are in the sun do you feel your upper body getting very warm? Do you start sweating? For me, I don't believe I can sweat from the nipple line up (maybe very little), and so I get very hot when I'm in the sun for long periods of time. I notice that I should be sweating from the nipple line up because of increases in compensatory sweating. So, even though you have gustatory sweating when you eat spicy foods, do you still reactively sweat from your nipple line up when you're in the sun?

    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me, I realize I probably could not sweat as much and as normal as before. But the area above my nipple line still sweats whenever I exercise (like jogging or work out in the gym), during hot weather (like visiting the zoo), eating spicy food etc.

    In fact from day to day, I feel very normal. And I don't get much serious side effects, as mentioned by some others in their blogs. Furthermore, I live in a hot climate country, no winter, no autumn, no spring. It's summer all year round.

    But one thing I realize is that if there is a sudden change of temperature, especially from cold to hot, the compensatory sweating on my lower back increases. Instances like when I suddenly come out from a air-conditioned shopping mall, to the street under the hot sun.

    ReplyDelete