Monday, June 12, 2023

12 Years

2 days ago, it was exactly 12 years since my ETS procedure. As of today, after 12 years of having the ETS procedure done, I think I am so far so good! And never regretted a bit since the day I woke up from my anaesthesia in the operating room. 

To recap, in the first 5 years my palms were definitely totally dry and warm, then slowly they became more "natural'' as in they would start sweating a little according to the usual physiological processes (eg. during fright and flight response, the palms would be moist, but one wipe would clear the sweat off immediately). In the last 2-3 years, my palms would tend to respond even more "naturally" to my daily activities, with moist in the palm more frequently than before. However having said that, it does not mean my palms are sweaty, it's just not as dry as they used to be in the first 5 years. Nevertheless, doing daily activities, like playing the piano, guitar etc are all not affected. 

If there is a scale of sweatiness, with 0 being no sweat, and 10 profusely sweating. Then, I would rate it as such: before ETS (10/10), first 5 years of ETS (0/10), next 5 years of ETS (1/10), and recently 2/10. So all in all, it is still very tolerable.

The dissociation of sweatiness between my head and neck vs the torso areas is definitely more and more distinctive. When I exercise, my torso area (nipple downwards) will be profusely sweating, but upper head and neck almost dry. When I eat spicy food (even a tinge of spice or pepper), my forehead will start sweating but my torso will be entirely dry. So long as I avoid spicy food, I am perfectly ok. Drinking coffee (especially 2 cups or more) might get me headache and faster heart beat, and a little more moist in my palms. One cup of latte per day is perfectly fine. Alcohol has no effect.

I haven't been following up with the latest technology of ETS procedure, but I would presume that 12 years today, the procedure must have been even more advance and refined with even lesser side effects post-op. Perhaps for those who are still contemplating of doing this surgery, I would highly recommend you to go find out more and it would probably be the best decision you make in your life (and career).

No comments:

Post a Comment