Friday, October 25, 2013

2Y4M Post ETS

Time flies. It's been 2 years and 4 months ever since I had my ETS done. Till today I still hold on to the same thought as before - no regret - undergoing the ETS.

However, the side effects which are slowly surfacing now in me, to some people, may be disturbing and irritating, or merely unacceptable. But for me, I'm still grateful that my palms are still dry and warm!

My armpits are both starting to sweat more nowadays. For whatever reason. I have to carefully select my clothing, as I cannot wear dark coloured cotton shirts, as the armpit sweat marks will be extremely obvious and unsightly. The armpits used to be so dry after the ETS operation, and I thought it was so cool that I didn't need to put on any anti-perspirant or deodarant on them anymore. But now, even with anti-perspirant, they still sweat a lot, especially in hot and humid environments.

I also realise that I can't take any more spicy food. Not even a little spicy. A simple chilli sauce on my nuggets will cause my forehead to sweat profusely. But if I avoid spicy food at all cost, I am just as ordinary as I am. Luckily I don't enjoy spicy food all this while, and hence this does not bother me a lot. Only occasionally when colleagues and friends invite me to Thai food or Indian cuisine, then I will bring along a small towel to wipe my forehead sweat! :D

My palms are dry and warm, but nowadays I notice at times, the palms will be moist a little, especially after heavy exercise or anxious moments. Never like before when they were dry and needed moisturiser. Nowadays I don't apply anymore moisturiser because my palms, in fact, feel more "natural" than those days immediately post-ETS. They "sweat" a little at appropriate time. And that's what I want!

These are just the very few side effects I am "suffering" now, but if you ask me, my answer remains the same - no regret undergoing the ETS.

Sweaty palms are just a 1000x more of a nuisance than not having spicy food, or sweat in my armpit.


5 comments:

  1. Hi. I'm glad you're happy with the surgery. Could you answer two questions please: did you remember which rib level was cuted/clamped? And what about compensatory sweating?

    Thanks. Best Regards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. T3-T4 if I remember correctly. Avoid T1 to prevent Horner syndrome. And the lower they go, the less chance of affecting T1 area. Even the method of sympathectomy counts - apparently I was put on titanium clips, to prevent any disturbance to the T1 area. If diathermy (burning technique), vibrator or cutting may induce some indirect "vibratory" effect to the upper T1, and hence the risk of Horner. Compensatory sweating has been getting more prominent of late, like what I blogged. But still tolerable, and worthwhile, compared to having sweaty palms. But that's very personal preference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi sweatyman,

    Can i know which country u staying at and which surgeon did the operation for you?

    Regards,
    Ethan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ethan! Sorry for the late reply. Have not checked in lately. Anyway, I did my operation in Malaysia, at i-H-e-a-l medical centre.

    ReplyDelete